Houtan Scholarship Application Form
The Houtan Scholarship Foundation (HSF) seeks students from all origins, Iranian and non-Iranian, who have high academic performance and have proven interested in promoting Iran’s great culture, heritage, language, and civilization. Currently, the selected applicant will receive one award of $3500 per year toward a graduate school education. The award is offered for a combined fall and spring semester. The application is acceptable if received no later than the 1st of June preceding the award year.
- The applicant should have a working knowledge of Parsi and should demonstrate an active
interest in Iranian culture, heritage, and literature.
- The applicant must presently be attending or anticipate attending an accredited graduate school.
- The applicant must have superior academic performance or a significant increase of academic
performance over the course of his/her academic career.
- Financial need will be a factor in determining the scholarship recipients.
Selection of Recipients:
- The scholarship will be awarded to an eligible graduate student, regardless of the student’s field
of study; the scholarship will be sent directly to the graduate school.
- After the board has reviewed the application and other submitted documents, the finalists will be
notified by mail or email.
- Each finalist must complete an interview, either by phone or in person, with Mina Houtan, PhD,
Founder and Chairperson of the Houtan Scholarship Foundation. This is the Foundation’s first
step in establishing a relationship with the student.
- The recipient will be selected from the pool of finalists based on submitted documents, the interview,
and finantial need; the recipient will be notified by mail or email.
- Once you are selected as a winner – you are expected to acknowledge the receipt of the notice
and contact us by e-mail within a month of the date you receive the notice. Failure to do so will
result in losing the award.
- If contact information remains the same within one(1) application year, there is no need to fill out the
- Submit all grades following the receipt of the scholarship.
- The applicant must show that he/she has continued an active interest in Iranian culture, heritage, and
literature following the receipt of the scholarship. Interest must be proved with appropriate
- Applicants must apply by the deadline. Your re-application process will be reviewed and compared to
the new pool of applicants.
- Due Date: June 1st
- Finalist Notification and Interviews: June 15 – June 30
- Selection of Recipient: July 1
Frequently Asked Questions:
The award year encompasses the fall semester through the following spring semester. For example, an award year can be Fall 2022 – Spring 2023.
The Houtan Scholarship Foundation was founded to support those who want to further their knowledge of Iran’s culture and heritage to the people. Those who show an active interest do so by publishing articles in newspapers or magazines, participating in interviews, or administering seminars, among other forms of spreading the knowledge. Remember, applicants must provide proof through documentation. Documentation can take the form of a video of the seminar or a magazine clipping, to name a couple examples.
The office of the Houtan Scholarship Foundation must have received the application and all pertinent documents through June 1st. Applications received past this date will not be considered.